We welcome your feedback and if it is in the form of a complaint, you can be assured that it will be handled in an objective, responsive and fair manner. 


How to lodge a complaint

There are numerous ways you can lodge a complaint with us.


Types of complaints

  1. Report an issue/request for service

If you are complaining or advising us of a problem such as a pothole, or water supply issue then you are encouraged to use the Request a service self help page or contact us by phone. Your first course of action is to speak with an officer within the Council’s Service Centre. If you've already tried to resolve the matter with the relevant branch and are still dissatisfied, you can contact Council’s Governance Branch, which objectively investigates and reviews matters in an effort to reach a fair outcome.

  1. Administrative action, misconduct, and fraud and corruption complaints

If you are unhappy about a particular council decision or action (administrative action), the behaviour of staff (misconduct), or if you believe staff are engaging in corrupt or fraudulent activities, Council is committed to the prompt and efficient resolution of complaints. Please lodge your administrative action, misconduct, or fraud and corruption complaint online or phone us on 131 872.

If the matter involves a suspicion of corruption, fraud or official misconduct you may wish to contact the Crime and Corruption Commission. A person who makes a 'public interest disclosure' may be entitled to certain protections available under the Act.


How we investigate complaints

We are committed to the provision of the highest quality level of service to our community. We welcome and encourage your feedback. The investigation of complaints can lead to improvements within our organisation, and the manner in which we supply and maintain services within our community.

When investigating complaints, we will endeavour to:

It is important to note that all allegations are treated as unsubstantiated until the investigation is finalised and the outcome indicates otherwise.

Further information 

Information about related policies, including the 2.52 Complaint Management Framework Policy may help you understand the complaint process.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your concerns, you have the right to take your complaint to an external agency, such as the Queensland Ombudsman or seek Judicial Review through an appropriate court, Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal, Queensland Competition Authority etc.


Council will use any personal information collected for the purpose of investigating your complaint and for remaining in contact with you. Council is authorised to collect this information in accordance with the Local Government Act 2009 and other local government legislation. Your personal information is only accessed by persons authorised to do so. Your personal information is dealt with in accordance with council's Privacy Policy.


The following frequently asked questions may help you understand our complaints process

What type of complaint is excluded under this policy?

This policy covers all complaints made to council about administrative actions; however, it does not apply to:

Who do I contact to gain assistance in lodging my complaint?

If you require help or assistance in making your complaint, or if you would like to talk about whether it is appropriate to make a specific complaint, please contact our Customer Service staff on 131 872.

Do I have to give you my contact details?

We can investigate anonymous complaints, but it is important that we have the opportunity to collect enough accurate information to assess your complaint. Therefore we would prefer you use a pseudo name and provide a valid phone number or email address, if you are concerned about confidentiality. We would like to use these details to keep you informed of both the progress of your complaint, as well as the outcomes.

Can I complain on someone else's behalf?

We will investigate your complaint only if it directly affects or relates to you, or if the aggrieved person has specifically asked you to act on their behalf, i.e. as their agent.

How much information do I have to provide?

You need to provide us with accurate information, which is factual, concise and directly related to your complaint to enable a thorough investigation. We also ask you if you have raised the matter with us before, so that we may check the outcomes and/or progress of that complaint. If you have lodged a complaint on the same matter with another department or agency (e.g. State Government Department), we need to know that too, so that we can take those findings into consideration, if necessary.

We also ask you to provide an outline of the outcomes you would like to see happen as a result of your complaint.

What if I change my mind?

Once you have lodged your complaint, if you change your mind, you may withdraw/retract your complaint at any time, and we will cease the investigation unless it requires referral to external agency.

What if I am not happy with the result of your investigation?

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the investigation, you should contact the Manager of Governance on 131 872. Depending on the issue, complaints may be escalated to a number of external agencies or tribunals, such as the ombudsman. Contact details for the ombudsman are:

Tel: 07 3005 7000
Toll Free (Landlines only): 1800 068 908
Post: GPO Box 3314, Brisbane QLD 4001

Last Updated: Friday, 03 August 2018 11:55