"Urban design is concerned with the arrangement, appearance and function of our suburbs, towns and cities. It is both a process and an outcome". (Australian Urban Design Protocol, 2011) With substantial growth projected for our region, we want to ensure that standards of development and design make it easy for communities to continue to enjoy high quality places and spaces.
Some of the aims of the TRUDI program are to:
- increase awareness and understanding of urban design within council and industry
- enhance urban design skills in council
- create an urban design policy to help facilitate quality urban design outcomes.
Some of the TRUDI program's key achievements include the Winter Urban Design Seminar Series, the development of the TRUDI Urban Design Policy and Practice in the Toowoomba Region and the 2014 launch of the biennial Toowoomba Region Awards for Excellence (Urban Design, Heritage and the Environment).
The best of city and country, the best of urban design
We have adopted an Urban Design policy entitled: Urban Design Policy and Practice in the Toowoomba Region. The following statements make up our urban design policy:
- Toowoomba Regional Council recognises the benefits of an urban design approach to the region's prosperity, sustainability and liveability
- As the local government for a large region and Australia's 15th largest city, Toowoomba Regional Council acknowledges its responsibility, and huge opportunity, to make a difference to the quality of Toowoomba's city, suburbs and rural towns
- Toowoomba Regional Council will adopt an urban design approach when it plans, builds or undertakes works in our city, suburbs and rural towns
- Toowoomba Regional Council will help and encourage others to adopt an urban design approach in their projects. We will do this through leadership, education, advocacy and in our planning and development work.
In addition to four key policy statements the document also adopts urban design principles from the National Urban Design Protocol, sets design priorities specific to the Toowoomba Region and outlines a number of implementation initiatives to transform words into action.
Toowoomba Region Urban Design and Placemaking Panel
The panel has been established to provide independent, expert and strategic advice to council about urban design and placemaking in our region.
Winter Urban Design Seminar Series
The Winter Urban Design Seminar Series are part of the TRUDI programme, run in the winter months of each year. The purpose of the Winter Urban Design Seminar Series is to bring the principles and concepts of urban design to the community to raise awareness and understanding of the challenges and opportunities in our urban environment. For more information, visit our Winter Urban Design Seminar Series webpage.
Toowoomba Region Awards for Excellence
The Toowoomba Region Awards for Excellence – Urban Design, Heritage and the Environment is about "recognising excellence and raising awareness". The awards are a result of the Toowoomba Region Urban Design Initiative (TRUDI) and will be held biennially as an important event within Council's calendar.Nine winners were announced on Saturday 7 March at the Gala event held at The Armitage Centre. Please contact us if you'd like more information on the programme. More information, including the nominees, winners, sponsors and judging criteria, is available on the Toowoomba Region Awards for Excellence website.