TRC offers condolences to families of Christchurch mosque victims

Toowoomba Regional Council’s Ordinary monthly meeting today was preceded by a motion of sympathy for the 50 lives lost and everyone involved in last week’s Christchurch mosque terror attack.

Toowoomba Region Mayor Paul Antonio said the community and Council extended their deepest sympathies to the families of the people who were killed in the incident.

“Councillors, members of the public and staff, it is with a very heavy heart that we reflect on the tragic circumstances that occurred in Christchurch on Friday,” Mayor Antonio said.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone who has been affected directly and indirectly by this event.

“I feel it is appropriate as Mayor of this great region that we echo the sentiments of shock, disbelief and great sorrow.

“I know that as a Council we will join together in assisting in any way we can in maintaining the values and way of life that we cherish.

“Our freedoms didn’t come for free. Acts of violence are a reminder that we must be vigilant about preserving our valued democratic traditions and rejecting bigotry and extreme views and actions of any kind.

“This region is an open, tolerant, peaceful and accepting society and we wish to preserve these ideals where everyone is treated equally, regardless of their religious denominations or ancestry.

“I was heartened by the show of support for our Muslim community at the Toowoomba mosque on Saturday afternoon and I affirm our commitment to remain a peaceful and accepting region.”

Last Updated: Tuesday, 19 March 2019 12:18
Back to top