We have grants of up to $5,000 available to local community organisations who deliver programs and projects that benefit local businesses and the broader community. The program has been developed to help achieve the community’s vision for a 'dynamic and diverse economy creating industry development and employment opportunities'.
Applications can be lodged for projects that aim to achieve one or more of the following:
- Support the effective implementation of the Toowoomba Region Economic Development Strategy and the Community Growth Action Plans.
- Encourage the establishment, growth and retention of sustainable businesses which enhance the region’s reputation for innovation, creativity, diversity and sustainability.
- Foster new partnerships and collaboration between businesses and business support groups.
- Create employment opportunities and increase the level of business investment in the region.
The opportunity to apply for grants will be available twice annually:
|Opening date||Closing date||Notification to applicants|
|1 February||1 March||April|
|1 July||1 August||September|
Who can apply
Organisations can apply for a community economic development grant if they:
- are an eligible community organisation or are under the auspices of an eligible community organisation as defined in the Community Grants Policy.
- operate or provide services within the Toowoomba Regional Council area.
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN).
It is mandatory that projects help to achieve the objectives of the Toowoomba Region Economic Development Strategy and Community Growth Action Plans. Eligible projects will:
- connect local businesses.
- encourage business innovation.
- build business capacity and skills.
- contribute to the ease of doing business.
- enable partnerships and collaboration between businesses and/or organisations in the Toowoomba region.
- address a local workforce gap.
- assist towards planning, professional and application fees in preparing grant applications for larger projects.
Funding for the continuation of existing projects will be considered, however, preference will be given to new or unique projects that have not been delivered in the past.
How to apply for a grant
Applications are made by completing a community grants application form (see Related documents) giving details of the project and attaching supporting information regarding:
- The need for the project and who will benefit, with reference to program objectives; any relevant feasibility studies, statistical analyses, community survey results or a needs analysis.
- Identify how and why the support being requested will positively impact the local community.
- Planning undertaken including a budget, cost estimates and/or quotes, and concept plans.
- Support for the project, including letters of support; partnership agreements or intentions.
- Confirmation of other funding and evidence of the organisation's own contributions.
- Evidence that support has been sought from other funding schemes outside of Council.
Assessment process and criteria
Community economic development grant applications will be considered against the program philosophy, objectives and outcomes, eligibility criteria and selection criteria. Grants are highly competitive and as such not all applications that meet the criteria will be successful.
Final approval and the level of support will depend on the availability of funds, the number of applications received in the financial year, program priorities and geographical equity. We may give a lower amount than requested, and may place terms and conditions on which items may be funded by the grant. Where the support requested is to add to other funding, an interim acknowledgement letter of support may be provided, to be confirmed when and if the other funding is approved.
Grants are assessed by panels that include Council staff and Councillors.
How to lodge an application
Applications must be postmarked before 5pm on the closing date advertised. Late applications may not be considered. Faxed or emailed applications must be followed up with a hard copy of the cover and signature pages. Applications can be submitted by:
- Email to:email@example.com
- Post: Toowoomba Regional Council, Community Grants Scheme, PO Box 3021, Toowoomba Qld 4350
- Deliver to: Any Toowoomba Regional Council Customer Service Centre
- Fax to: 4631 9292 by close of business on the closing day
Help with the application process is available by contacting our Economic Development team on 131 872.
Online statistical tool (providing information on the Toowoomba region's population and economic breakdown)