We have grants of up to $5,000 available to local community organisations who deliver programs and projects that benefit local businesses and the broader community. The program has been developed to help achieve the community’s vision for a 'dynamic and diverse economy creating industry development and employment opportunities'.
The opportunity to apply for grants will be available twice annually:
|Opening date||Closing date||Notification to applicants|
|1 February||1 March||April|
|1 July||1 August||September|
Organisations can apply for a community economic development grant if they:
- are an eligible community organisation or are under the auspices of an eligible community organisation as defined in the Community Grants Policy.
- operate or provide services within the Toowoomba Regional Council area.
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN).
Who can't apply:
- For-profit companies, trusts and other organisations.
- Government, semi-government organisations and statutory authorities.
- Public and private educational institutions (primary, secondary and tertiary including Parents & Citizens and Parents & Friends Associations).
- Unions and student guilds.
- Research foundations and professional associations.
- An organisation that has been granted approval for support through a Toowoomba Regional Council funding program for the same project.
- Recipients who have previously defaulted on the conditions of funding.
It is mandatory that projects help to achieve the objectives of the Toowoomba Region Economic Development Strategy and Community Growth Action Plans. Eligible projects will:
- connect local businesses.
- encourage business innovation.
- build business capacity and skills.
- contribute to the ease of doing business.
- enable partnerships and collaboration between businesses and/or organisations in the Toowoomba region.
- address a local workforce gap.
- assist towards planning, professional and application fees in preparing grant applications for larger projects.
Funding for the continuation of existing projects will be considered, however, preference will be given to new or unique projects that have not been delivered in the past.
Community Economic Development Grants will not fund:
- Loan or other debt repayments.
- Projects already commenced or completed.
- Recurrent administration and running costs, such as:
- Regular wages
- Regular office expenses.
- Projects with a commercial purpose.
- Projects already funded by other Toowoomba Regional Council Grant programs.
- Prize money, trophies, raffle prizes or fundraising.
Community economic development grant applications will be considered against the program philosophy, objectives and outcomes, eligibility criteria and selection criteria. Grants are highly competitive and as such not all applications that meet the criteria will be successful.
Final approval and the level of support will depend on the availability of funds, the number of applications received in the financial year, program priorities and geographical equity. We may give a lower amount than requested, and may place terms and conditions on which items may be funded by the grant. Where the support requested is to add to other funding, an interim acknowledgement letter of support may be provided, to be confirmed when and if the other funding is approved.
Grants are assessed by panels that include Council staff and Councillors.
How to apply for a grant
- Read the Community economic development grant program guidelines.
- Fill in the Community grants application form (PDF) and submit via one of the following methods:
- Email to: email@example.com (must be submitted before 5pm on the closing date and must be followed up with a hard copy of the cover and signature pages).
- Post: Toowoomba Regional Council, Community Grants Scheme, PO Box 3021, Toowoomba Qld 4350 (must be postmarked before 5pm on the closing date).
- Deliver to: any Toowoomba Regional Council Customer Service Centre (before 5pm on the closing date).
- Fax to: 4631 9292 (before 5pm on the closing date and must be followed up with a hard copy of the cover and signature pages).
Help with the application process is available by contacting our Economic Development team on 131 872.
Community grants funding agreement (to be used after confirmation of grant funding)
Community grants acquittal form (to be submitted after the project completion)
Online statistical tool (providing information on the Toowoomba region's population and economic breakdown)