Greenwaste bins are a handy way to dispose of lawn clippings, leaves and prunings. Your greenwaste is collected fortnightly and processed into mulch ready for reuse. To be effectively recycled in this way it is very important to keep other rubbish out of the green waste bin. Find out what you should be putting in your greenwaste bin below.
To find out your bin collection day, use our Find your bin day tool.
Applying for a greenwaste service
The following list outlines the areas that are currently in the service area and a greenwaste service may be able to be offered to you:-
- All suburbs within the Toowoomba Service Centre (previous Toowoomba City Council area)
- Blue Mountain Heights
- Cabarlah (south of Reushle Road)
- Cotswold Hills
- Gowrie Junction
- Gowrie Mountain
- Hodgson Vale
- Kingsthorpe township
- Meringandan West
- Millmerran township
- Oakey township
- Top Camp
- Vale View
Please contact us to order a service.
What to do with your greenwaste bin if you move
If you had a greenwaste service at your original residence, the bin and the charge remains there. You need to register for a new greenwaste service at the new property (if there is not one there). The greenwaste service is available to most areas within the region. See the list above.
Items for my greenwaste bin
Only greenwaste can be placed in your bin, including:
- Prunings and cuttings
- Weeds and lawn clippings
- Branches up to 150mm diameter
- Branches less than 50cm long, (please break up or cut up branches that are longer than 50cm and place in your bin)
- Untreated timber
Items that must not be put in the greenwaste bin
Please do not place the following items into your green waste bin:
- Branches or tree limbs longer than 50cm
- Branches and trunks thicker than 15cm
- Plastic bags and bin liners - including biodegradable plastic bags
- Plant pots
- Garden furniture
- General waste
- Food scraps, fruit and vegetables
- Disposable nappies
- Plastics or metals
- Animal droppings or dead animals
- Treated or painted timber or composite wood
- Concrete, rocks, building materials
- Tree stumps
- Compostable cups/paper/cardboard
- Compostable plastic bags
- Biodegradable plastic bags
If your bin is overweight, overfull or contains items that are not greenwaste, it may not be collected. You will be asked to remove the excess greenwaste or the contamination before a truck will be able to service your bin. If a return service is available, you may be charged for this service. Excess waste outside of the bin will not be collected.
Wheelie bin maintenance
Should your wheelie bin be damaged or have broken parts (e.g. cracked or missing lids, pins, wheels and/or axles), contact Council and lodge a customer request.