Your general waste bin is the one with the nature green lid (same colour as the bin body) or a red lid. Items put in this bin are buried in landfill at a council waste facility. Many items are not compatible with our waste collection trucks or the landfill and should not be put in your general waste bin.
Materials that should not be placed in the general waste bin
- Items longer than 50cm. Make sure items are broken or cut up into smaller pieces before placing them in your bin.
- Builder's rubble.
- Car motor or parts.
- Liquid waste, chemicals and oil.
- Bricks, concrete and masonry.
- Hot ashes - make sure ashes are cold before disposing of them in the bin.
- Gas cylinders.
- White goods.
- Dead animals.
Many of our waste facilities offer disposal options for these items. For further information click here.
Materials that can be placed in the general waste bin
Items that can be placed in your general waste bin include:
- Plastic bags.
- Plastic wrap.
- Disposable nappies.
- Ceramic, china, pottery.
- Styrofoam, polystyrene (make sure all foam boxes are broken into smaller pieces otherwise they will form a suction between the bin wall and the box restricting complete emptying of your bin).
- Ovenproof glass.
- Drinking glasses.
- Light bulbs and mirrors.
- Garden waste (greenwaste).
- Food scraps.
- E-Waste (there are recycling alternatives around Toowoomba for your e-waste.
Keep in mind there are many charitable organisations that may want your good, useable household items such as crockery, glassware and clothing. Look for these organisations in the white pages.
Wheelie bin maintenance
Should your wheelie bin be damaged or have broken parts (e.g. cracked or missing lids, pins, wheels and/or axles), contact council and lodge a customer request.