We support people who are learning English as a second language, and adults looking to improve their reading, writing and numeracy skills through the following services:
1. The literacy collection
This collection includes aids to reading, writing, speaking and listening to English as well as basic numeracy. The literacy collection is in the Adult Non-Fiction section at ANF 428 under the "Mastering English" sign.
2. The Road to IELTS (International English Language Testing System) online program
This online program contains general and academic preparation and practice with interactive activities. The program is aimed at practicing the challenges faced in the IELTS tests. This resource can be accessed from home or from the library using your library barcode card number.
- Road to IELTS General Training - The general training test is for those who want to do work experience or training programs, secondary school or migrate to an English-speaking country. Please provide your library barcode number when prompted.
- Road to IELTS Academic - The academic test is for those who want to study at a tertiary level in an English-speaking country. Please provide your library barcode number when prompted.
- Practical Writing is a program that will help students with writing essays, emails, reports, job applications, notes, letters and more.
3. English conversation groups
Volunteer tutors run free small group sessions in the library's meeting room every week for adults with English as a second language. Here you can practise your everyday English skills and learn about Australia in a relaxed and supportive environment. The groups are held from 1pm – 2.30pm on Wednesday and on Thursday and Saturday from 10am - 11.30am.
If you would like to be a volunteer tutor, please email us.
4. Advanced English and IELTS
Classes are held each Saturday from 12 pm - 2 pm. Bookings are not necessary.
5. English for job hunters
If you have a moderate skill level of English, the Toowoomba City Library is offering English for job hunting courses in the Digital Hub. Courses run from 10am to 12 noon on Thursdays during the school term. There are two courses on offer, and you can choose to do one or both courses. Each course will run over 2 weeks on Thursdays for 2 hours. Bookings for all courses are essential as class sizes are limited.
Course 1: English for job applications
- Lesson 1: Access a range of sources to identify appropriate job vacancies and prepare a suitably structured resume.
- Lesson 2: Prepare a letter of application and address selection criteria in response to an advertised position.
Course 2: English for job interviews
- Lesson 1: Anticipate possible interview questions and a range of suitable answers.
- Lesson 2: Demonstrate appropriate communication techniques.
Class dates for 2017:
Course 1: 2 & 9 March
Course 2: 16 & 23 March
Course 1: 20 & 27 April
Course 2: 4 & 11 May
Course 1: 25 May & 1 June
Course 2: 8 & 15 June
Course 1: 13 & 20 July
Course 2: 27 July & 3 August
Course 1: 17 & 24 August
Course 2: 31 August & 7 September
Course 1: 5 & 12 October
Course 2: 19 & 26 October
Course 1: 9 & 16 November
Course 2: 23 & 30 November
For more information or bookings, talk to staff at the library or phone 4688 6670.