The Highfields Fitness and Recreation centre has a range of activities and classes available in the pool and at the gym. See below for more information.
Upcoming events & offers
School holiday fun - 3 to 7 July
It's on again! The Highfields school holiday activity program is running from 3 -7 July. This winter, the group will work up a sweat with obstacle courses, treasure hunts (but no ordinary hunt), sports hall games and the challenging hot seat!
You can check out the blue slider below for information on cost and times. To enrol contact Corey at HFR on 4699 6530 or email us.
Bro-Lates… pilates for men! Is continuing on 5, 12 and 19 June at 6.40pm
Bro-Lates is a pilates class specifically designed for men to learn the importance and benefits of pilates. These classes focus on injuries and strengthen many of the muscles that get neglected from regular day to day life and other forms of activity. If you have experienced back and joint pain these classes may provide you with a great level of core strength to improve on weaknesses. All abilities will be catered for.
Bros over the age of 16 years are welcome to attend. Normal class entry conditions apply.
Regular pilates classes are held Tuesday and Friday at 10.15am and Wednesday at 6.40pm.
Jackpot June group fitness challenge!
This June we set you a challenge for three reasons: 1 - to help you resist hibernation, 2 - to assist with providing meals to the homeless and 3 - to win yourself a healthy hamper valued at $150! The challenge set is to see who can attend the most group fitness classes in the month of June. There is a small registration fee of $5 (the registration fee is tax deductible) with proceeds going to the Base Services Soup Kitchen. The winner will be announced at the beginning of July. Sign up and pay your registration fee at the gym.
You can check out the terms and conditions on the appropriate slide below. See gym staff today or email us!
Pool closed for winter
The Highfields pool closed for winter on Thursday 13 April and aims to reopen mid September for the summer season.
We are on Facebook!
Check out and like our page and share with your friends. This is the best way to keep informed of what is happening at Milne Bay and Highfields Aquatic and Fitness Centre.
O'Brien Road, Highfields
Please phone 4699 6530.
- 25 metre, eight lane heated outdoor lap pool
- heated children's wading pool
- BBQ's, picnic tables and natural grass to relax on
- toddler's water slide
- lifeguards patrolling
- available for group hire
- learn to swim classes
- onsite parking
- Highfields swimming club
- large sports stadium
- basketball court
Centre opening hours
Winter hours from 18 April to September 2017 are:
- Monday to Friday 6am - 8.30pm
- Saturday 7am - 4pm
- Sunday 7am - 4pm
- Public holidays: times may vary
Gym opening hours
Winter hours from 18 April to September 2017 are:
- Monday to Friday 6am - 8.30pm
- Saturday 7am - 4pm
- Sunday 7am - 4pm
Pool opening hours
Open between September and April. The pool will close 13 April 2017 for the winter season.
- Monday 6am - 6pm
- Tuesday 6am - 6pm
- Wednesday 6am - 5.45pm (Highfield's swimming club 5.45pm - 8.30pm, school terms 1 and 4)
- Thursday 6am - 6pm
- Friday 6am - 6pm
- Saturday to Sunday 7am - 6pm
Pool classes are run during the spring/summer seasons. Both the pool and sports hall are fully patrolled by trained staff and pool lifeguards. We can supply trained staff to personally supervise any booked parties. Information about swimming pool and gym fees can be found in our fees & charges. The toddlers water slide does not operate during school swimming lessons. Please see staff for dates and times.
Face to face program: one, half hour session once a week for a total of five weeks
Week one : health profile check one (compulsory)
- Check medical conditions and injuries
- Weight and measurements are taken
- Goals are recorded
- Discuss what type of training program you require
Week two: program one
- Trainer will demonstrate and assist you in completing each exercise of your new training program by focusing on technique to prevent injury
Week three: program two
- Trainer will answer any questions you may have about your program
- The trainer will demonstrate the exercises again in case you have forgotten
- Trainer will also look over technique of the exercise
- Add or take any exercises out of the program if they are too hard, need more variety or even want more of a challenge
Week four: nutrition
- Trainer will discuss any eating habits that you might want to change
- Please be aware we do not set diets
- Trainer can give advice on what may assist in achieving your goals
Week five: health profile check two
- Record weight and measurements
- Discuss new program
- Record and new injuries or medical conditions
- Free training programs every 6-8 weeks
- Free skinfolds
- Free weigh and measures every 6-8 weeks
- Personal training is available to members and to non-members for an extra fee
- These sessions are 30min long at a cost of $40 each or $290 for 10x30min sessions
Small group personal training
- 1 hour training session is $70 and the cost can be split between 1- 5 participants.
- Indoor/outdoor training
- Spin classes, boxing, circuit style training
- Various times and days
- LesMills classes
Contact 4699 6530
Group fitness and aqua classes
The winter timetable is now available. Classes are listed below or you can download the group fitness autumn/winter timetable
6.am - RPM
8am - Active bodies
9am - Body pump
5.40pm - HIT circuit
6am - Pilates Barre
8am - Zumba Gold
9am - Zumba
10.15am - Pilates
5.40pm - Fit Boxing
6.40pm - Body balance
6am - CX worx
8am - Stretch and flex
9am - Body step
10.15am - Body balance
5.40pm - RPM
6.40pm - Pilates
6am - Body pump (45min)
8am - Active Bodies
9am - Body pump
5.40pm - Strong Boxing
6.40pm - Body balance
6am - LesMills Body Step
8am - Move and Groove
9am - Pilates Barre
10.15am - Pilates
5.40pm - Zumba
8am- On the Move
8am - Body pump
Pilates – A total body workout which will improve strength, lean muscle tone and flexibility with a core focus. Suitable for all fitness levels.
Les Mills body pump – Is the original barbell class that strengthens your entire body. Les Mills body pump is proven to be “the world’s fastest way to get in shape” by research, which has confirmed higher than expected fat-burning effects alongside endurance, strength and wellness benefits.
Les Mills BodyBalance – Bodybalance® combines the best of eastern disciplines, like yoga and tai chi, with popular new methods such as pilates.
Les Mills body step – Is the energizing step workout that makes you feel liberated and alive. Using a height-adjustable step and simple movements on, over and around, you’ll push fatburning systems into high gear. Your legs will love it...eventually.
Les Mills RPM – is the indoor cycling routine workout where you ride to the rhythm of powerful music. Take on the terrain with your inspiring trainer who leads the pack through hills, flats, mountain peaks, time trials, and interval training.
Les Mills CX worx – Based on cutting-edge scientific research and is the ultimate way to get a tight and toned core.
Fit Boxing – Focuses on techniques and aerobic conditioning combine to give you a total body workout. Catered for all levels of fitness.
Strong Boxing – Focuses on techniques, strength, and power combinations combined to give you a total body workout. Catered for all levels of fitness.
Active bodies – This class is a great way for all participants to begin their fitness journey. Using a broad variety of equipment and exercises, you will leave feeling stronger, fitter and with a smile on your face. Great for beginners or anyone who wants a slower paced workout.
Stretch and Flex – is based around the aspects of combining the following: stretching, strengthening muscles and relaxation throughout the session, which gives an overall rounded program to
assist in mobility and wellbein
Pilates Barre - Combines Pilates, yoga and sports conditioning into one entire class. Barre will improve fitness, strength, flexibility and balance with an up beat fun focus.
Zumba - Ditch the workout, join the party. A total workout, combing all elements of fitness - cardio, muscle conditioning, balance, flexibility, boosted energy and a serious dose of awesome each time you leave the class.
Zumba Gold – Is the original Zumba workout modified for anyone beginning their fitness journey or concerned with high impact exercise.
On the Move - Is a perfect way to start your morning. Explore Highfields by walking, jogging or running depending on your fitness level.
Move and Groove - Is an aerobic style class combined with a Latin inspired dance theme. A highly motivating fun and inclusive workout to great music whilst building fitness and burning calories. Great workout for anyone beginning their fitness journey or concerned with high impact exercise.
Bootcamp programs are run by qualified trainers, who aim to challenge the mind and body through aerobic and cardio training, increasing mobility and improving muscular endurance.
Bootcamp class runs throughout the year.
Cost: Free for members. Non-members can purchase visits passes.
Days: Tuesday and Friday mornings at 6am - 7am
Contact: Call Highfields Fitness and Recreation Centre on 46996530 for more information or to book. Bookings are essential as places are limited to 30 participants. Venues will vary and trainers will provide precise locations.
In-Body scanner at Milne Bay Aquatic and Fitness Centre
The In-Body composition analysis machine can provide a detailed description and print out of skeletal muscle mass, body fat in kilograms, total body fat percentage, visceral fat, total body water, segmental muscle and fat analysis, bone mineral content and also basal metabolic rate. The scan only takes 15-20 minutes and is completed, fully clothed.
This scan can help in monitoring fitness goals, weight loss and weight gain.
MBAC/HFR members: $25 per scan
Non-members: $35 per scan
Please contact staff at the centre on 4688 6330 or email us to book an appointment for your scan.
Are you ready to see how many classes you can do in June?
Register for the challenge with gym staff and receive your challenge card. There is a registration fee of $5 (the registration fee is tax deductible) with all proceeds going to the Base Services soup kitchen to enable the services to be run all year round.
We have opened this challenge to members and non members for three reasons: 1 - to help you resist hibernation, 2 - to assist with providing meals to the homeless and 3 - to win yourself a healthy hamper valued at $150!
The winner will be announced at the beginning of July.
Terms and conditions
- The promoter is Milne Bay and Highfields Aquatic and Fitness Centres whose registered offices are at the Crn Herries and Victoria Streets Toowoomba and 1 Obrien Road Highfields.
- Staff of Milne Bay and Highfields Aquatic and Fitness Centres or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to claim the prize.
- Entries will only be accepted by recording classes entered on the challenge card with the signature from a gym trainer. Closing date for entry will be 30 June. After this date no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- The rules of the competition and the prize for each winner are as follows: A person is to register with gym staff and pay a $5 registration fee. A person is to ask for the trainers to sign their card at the end of the class attended. A person may enter the competition at both locations but will be counted as two entries. There will be one winner for Highfields Fitness and Recreation Centre and one from Milne Bay Aquatic and Fitness Centre.
- The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
- The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
- No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- Winners will be chosen by the details on the challenge card which is to be kept in the group fitness room. Winners will need to show identification.
- The winner will be notified by a phone call or by email the following week the competition closes. If the winner cannot be contacted or do not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- The promoter will notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected.
- The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by Australian law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Australia.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current Australian data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
- The winner’s name will be available 28 days after closing date on http://facebook.com.au/mbacandhfr.
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions and Queensland entries excepted only.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other social network. You are providing your information to Milne Bay and Highfields Aquatic and Fitness Centres and not to any other party.
The creche at Highfields Fitness & Recreation Centre is available for your child/children to play in a safe and friendly environment which is fully supervised by qualified staff. The creche is open from 8am to 11.30am Monday and Thursday and 8.30am to 11.30 Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. The creche is closed public holidays and for two weeks over Christmas. Bookings are essential as places are limited. A price list for our creche services can be found in the community development and facilities fees & charges and bookings can be made by contacting us on 4699 6530.
Movies occur throughout the year at Highfields Fitness and Recreation Centre in the sports hall. Keep watch for the upcoming movie nights.
Everyone is welcome, bring camp chairs, picnic rugs or bean bags. The cafe is open for snacks and drinks including popcorn, frozen drinks and sweets.
Movie tickets cost:
- $10 adult
- $8 children
- $30 family pass (2 adults up to 3 children)
Tickets are on sale at reception or can be booked by calling reception on 4699 6530 and using a credit card.
Parties at Highfields Fitness & Recreation Centre are $12 per child and a party host can be supplied to entertain party guests for two hours for $55 per host. For groups of 8-15 children one host is required. For 16 children or more, two hosts are required.
- admission to the centre for children attending the party
- parents and grandparents of the birthday child enter the facility at no extra charge
- bag of lollies
- hot foods
- cold drinks
How to book
For availability, additional information and bookings contact 4699 6530 or email us.
All that you need for training or leisure in the gym or pool is here at the Pro Shop. We are conveniently located inside the main entrance. Items are competitively priced, with new stock arriving regularly.
- gym wear
- swim caps
- nose pieces
- pool buoys
- kick boards
- rash shirts
- sports bags
- swim bags
- sun cream
The traverse rock climbing wall is available every Sunday 1-3 pm. Cost is $2 for casual entry. The wall is 2.4 m high and is 6 m in length. The fun and challenge of a traverse wall is making it from one side to the other, rather than to the top. Students are never more than a few feet off the floor as they traverse, or climb across, the wall. No ropes or harnesses are needed.
Perfect for birthday party entertainment, family challenge or to get the children active indoors. For bookings and open times contact the centre.
Group bookings are also available.
Highfields Fitness and Recreation Centre run holiday activities over the school holiday breaks. To book, come into the centre, call us on 4699 6530 or send us an email.
School holiday activities - 3 - 7 July 2017
Book by contacting reception staff on 4699 6530. Discount rate: $50 to join both programs.
Mix mash sports
This winter the children can enjoy a combination of fun games and fitness activities including all the sports the hall has to offer including European handball, climbing wall, basketball, soccer, volleyball, dodge ball and more.
Cost: $30 for a 5 day program
Ages: 6-11 years and 12-16 years
To enrol contact Corey at HFR on 4699 6530 or email us.
The waves swim school aquatic education program at Highfields Fitness & Recreation Centre is divided into learn to swim and squad programs. To find the appropriate swim level, participants are assessed by staff. To book an assessment contact us.
Cost: $12 for the first child per lesson, $11.50 for the second child and $11 for three or more children in the same family.
Times: Swim school operates from 3.30pm to 7pm on Tuesday and Thursdays and 8.30am to 12pm Saturdays throughout spring and summer (school terms 1 and 4). During the winter months families can enrol at our Milne Bay Toowoomba venue.
Booking: Book by coming into reception or calling Highfields Fitness & Recreation Centre on 4696 6530.
Our swim school, Waves is registered with Austswim/Swim Australia.
For one week each term, Waves Swim School run a 'safety week' when children take part in activities designed to teach them how to keep safe in aquatic environments. During this week children participate in circuits that involve wearing personal floating devices (life vests), using various flotation aids like balls and eskys, basic rescues using clothing and towels, treading water and swimming through currents and more.