Clifton Council history

Council history

The Shire of Clifton was originally constituted a Divisional Board by proclamation dated 11 November 1879 under the Divisional Boards Act. The first meeting of the board took place on 3 February 1880.

In 1903, the Clifton Divisional Board was abolished by the Governor-in-Council and the Clifton Shire Council was created.

The Clifton Shire area comprised of 865 square km with a population of about 2600. The Shire office was opened in 1940 and was located in the Clifton township. The building was one of the first modern civic buildings built by local authorities on the Downs and was a neatly constructed brick.

Past chairmen - Clifton Divisional Board

1880 CLARKE, Charles

1881 HANLEY, James

1882 GRIMES, Thomas

1883-85 DEACON, William

1886-88 CLARKE, George

1889 DEACON, William

1890 HANLEY, James

1891 LOGAN, John

1892 KELEHER, John

1893 GORDON, A

1894 HANLEY, James

1895 HARVEY, E

1896 LOGAN, John

1897 HARVEY, E

1898 KELEHER, John

1899 HINZ, M J&

1900 BOURKE, James

1901 COLLINS, J

Past chairmen - Clifton Shire Council

1902 KELEHER, John

1903 GILLAM, Charles Young

1904 McGOVERN, B

1905 LOGAN, John

1906 GILLAM, Charles Young

1907 O'SULLIVAN, John

1908 COOPER, Edward

1909 IMHOFF, P. H

1910 LOGAN, John

1911-12 PURCELL, J

1913 SMITH, H. N

1914 BOURKE, James

1915 LOGAN, John

1916 GALLAGHER, John

1917-20 MEARA, James

1921 MEARA, James, LOGAN, John

1922-2 ROSS, W R

1924-47 MEARA, James

1947-49 HINRICHSEN, Heinrich William

1949-55 WARFIELD, Herbert Stanley

1955-67 BOURKE, William

1967-76 FINLAY, William Warburton

1976-79 O'LEARY, Virgil Cletus

1979-82 BISHOP, William

1982-91 LYONS, Emmett Patrick

1991-94 JONES, Ian Robert

Past mayors

1994-97 MURPHY, Reginald Garth

997-2004 COLLINS, Patricia Ann

2004-08 JONES, Ian Robert

Last Updated: Friday, 26 February 2016 12:20
Back to top