The removal and disposal of deceased animals can be distressing and needs to be dealt with as safely and sensitively as possible.
Removal of dead animals on private property
When your loved pet passes away please do not use your wheelie bins for disposal. Instead, you can:
- Arrange cremation, or
- Bury your pet in the backyard at a mimimum depth of 60cm (cat of dog only), or
- Take your pet to the closest waste facility that accepts dead animals.
Waste facilities that accept dead animals
The waste facilities listed below accept dead animals. Please consider the feelings and safety of our staff and other customers by concealing your animal for delivery.
- Greater Toowoomba Waste Management Facility - Single animals from household sources only with a weight limit of up to 50kg per animal will be accepted. Animals must be wrapped in plastic (i.e. minimum of two garbage bags thickness or equivalent) and sealed; and the packaging must not rupture when offloaded. Only one animal may be taken to the facility per load. Please advise the gatehouse operator when you arrive that you have a dead animal for delivery.
- Goombungee Waste Management Facilities - By appointment only.
- Jondaryan Waste Management Facility - By appointment only.
- Millmerran Waste Management Facility - By appointment only.
- Pittsworth Waste Management Facility - By appointment only.
- Toowoomba Waste Management Centre - During normal operating hours. Prior notice is required for large animals greater than 100kg or bulk loads of dead animals. Please phone Waste Services on 131 872 to book an appointment.
- Non-staffed waste facilities - dead animals are not accepted.
All waste facilities and a list of the items accepted at each facility can be found in the Waste facilities article.
Please note that:
- Appointment times are subject to normal site operating schedules, the availability of plant and operators. Please phone Waste Services 131 872 to book an appointment.
- Bulk loads of dead animals can only be accepted at the Toowoomba Waste Management Centre. Please phone Waste Services on 131 872 to book an appointment.
- Fees apply to the disposal of dead animals. These can be accessed via our interactive fee page (see dead animals, page 2).
- Customers may be referred to a facility other than their preferred/closest facility in some cases.
Removal of dead animals on Council land or on/beside Council owned roads
If you see a dead animal on or beside a Council owned road or on Council owned land, you can report this to us by:
- Using our online request system or
- Calling us on 131 872.
To make it as easy as possible for our staff to collect the animal, please provide an accurate location with a landmark.
Where registration details are able to be determined when the animal is picked up, our staff will attempt to contact the owner of the animal.
Removal of dead animals on/beside main roads
If a dead animal is located on or beside a State Government highway (or "main road"), contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 0746 390 777.