Dogs in the Toowoomba region must be registered with us:
- upon reaching three months of age
- prior to the expiry of the current registration
- within 14 days of obtaining your dog (if the dog is older than three months of age)
- within 14 days of moving into the Toowoomba Regional Council area.
Dog registration is a requirement of State legislation outlined in the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008.
Additionally, registering your dog is a safeguard for your dog to be returned if it becomes lost. In addition, your registration fees help provide important services such as animal control and community education about responsible pet ownership.
How to register your dog
- Complete the online form
- Print out and fill in the Dog registration application form (PDF for print) and return it to a Customer Service office or via mail
- Visit a Customer Service Office
Information required for registration
You need to provide the following information to register your dog:
- microchip (where applicable)
- owner's name, address and contact number
- desexing certificate (this is a requirement to receive the discounted rate)
- property details where the dog is kept
- proof of pension entitlement.
We are also able to take note of any distinguishing features or marks your dog may have as well as record the microchip number if applicable.
Your dog is only registered once the required information is provided and the correct registration fee has been paid.
Reciprocal registration is a transfer of the balance of the current year's registration of an animal from one local government area to another. This means there is no fee to register in that current financial year.
Reciprocal registration can occur when:
- A dog (other than a regulated dog) is currently registered with another local government in Australia and satisfactory proof of registration is produced to Council (such as a receipt or registration certificate)
If you qualify for reciprocal registration please:
- Complete and return an animal registration form for the animal/s
- Provide proof of current registration (receipt or registration certificate) with another local government
- Provide a microchip number if applicable
- Proof of desexing (if you wish to claim the desexed animal rebate)
Please remember to:
- Update your animals new residency details on the national database (microchipping)
- Advise Council of your leaving and returning to the Toowoomba Regional Council area as required under the Act. Reciprocal registration is not available unless you have advised Council of these changes.
There is no fee for reciprocal registration. This will apply for the remainder of the current year of registration.
Desexed dog discount
We offer generously discounted registration rates for desexed dogs.
Dog obedience training discount
Dogs that have been obedience trained are less likely to cause a nuisance. Therefore in the spirit of rewarding responsible dog owners, we offer a 50% registration discount for dogs that have reached an appropriate level of obedience from our recognised certified dog training provider - Toowoomba Dog Obedience Club. To qualify for this discount you are required to have your dog obedience trained/assessed by the Toowoomba Dog Obedience Club. Once your dog has qualified to the level of competency required, the Toowoomba Dog Obedience Club will forward an obedience certificate to us. We will adjust your records to reflect that your dog qualifies for the obedience training discount for the next registration year.
Contact the Toowoomba Dog Obedience club directly on (07) 4633 2241 or visit the Toowoomba dog obedience club website should you wish to enroll your dog.
Changing registration details
It is very important to advise us of any changes to your dog's registration details. For example, if you move house or change your telephone number, we must alter the records so we can still contact you if your dog is found outside your property. It also ensures that you receive your annual renewal notice and your dog isn't left unregistered after the annual expiry date.
Change of ownership
Use the form below to change registration details from one owner to another.
Animal registration renewals
Animal registration renewals occur in June of each year. Dog owners are welcome to update their details at any time. Registration renewal can be paid online or by any of the methods mentioned on the renewal notice (by mail, over the counter etc.).
To keep your details up-to-date please ensure you notify Council of the following changes by contacting us by no later than the first week in May each year:
- If your dog has been de-sexed
- If your dog is deceased
- If you have changed your address
- If there are any other changes to your dog’s registration details
The registration period runs from 1 July to 30 June each year.
Lifetime dog registration tags
All new dog registrations and dog registration renewals from 1 July 2016 will receive a green lifetime tag at the time of registration. The new lifetime tags are designed to be environmentally friendly and make the registration process easier for dog owners. Dog owners will still pay annual registration fees as normal each June, but won’t need to replace tags every year and will have the convenience of keeping the same tag number for the entire life of the dog.
The new tag will replace current purple tags.
The tag must be worn by the dog at all times. This tag will assist the return of your dog in the event that it becomes lost. If your dog’s lifetime tag is lost or damaged a replacement tag can be obtained at Council’s Customer Service Centre, at no charge.
Dog registration fees for the 2016/17 financial year are available in 'Related documents' below. Registration fees are used for providing animal management related services to the community including animal management staff dealing with emergencies, shelter facilities, educational and other animal-related activities.