A pre-lodgement meeting is a free meeting between prospective applicants and Council technical staff. The meeting is to discuss a development proposal prior to the formal lodgement of a development application with Council.
A pre-lodgement meeting provides a prospective applicant with the opportunity to discuss and receive feedback from Council. The technical aspects of a development proposal can be discussed following a preliminary assessment of submitted plans and documents detailing the proposal.
There are no mandatory requirements to have a pre-lodgement meeting prior to making a development application. However, pre-lodgement meetings are encouraged by Council. A meeting is the most appropriate means of dealing with enquiries of a complex or site-specific nature.
Formal feedback can be sought from Council on a specific development concept or proposal plan prior to lodgement of the development application.
Pre-lodgement meetings may also provide valuable information that may assist with a development application being considered a well-made application.
Purpose of a pre-lodgement meeting
Pre-lodgement meetings are intended to:
- Confirm applicable Council development requirements in the Toowoomba Regional Planning Scheme
- Identify Council information requirements, additional technical studies that are required to be lodged with the application
- Identify the level of assessment and any approvals required
- Identify the need for the application to be referred to other agencies
- Identify design issues that will need to be addressed based on a preliminary assessment of submitted information
- Explore means to determine possible solutions to identified issues
- Provide clarity and certainty about the assessment process and typical timeframes.
Pre-lodgement meetings are not intended to:
- Provide a detailed assessment of the development proposal
- Provide details of infrastructure charges
- Indicate the likely outcome of the ensuing assessment process
- Provide a detailed compliance audit of the development proposal against applicable planning scheme codes or other Council policy instruments
- Speculate on Council’s view on specific issues should such issues be raised subsequently in public submissions
- Provide feedback on development proposals other than that development proposal for which the meeting was requested.
How to arrange a pre-lodgement meeting
To arrange a pre-lodgement meeting, prospective applicants need to obtain and complete either the print or online form.
Online application - preferred method
Online customer service portal - Register (top right hand corner) and then select 'Development applications'.
The Development - Pre-lodgement meeting request form APP 001 (for print) can be emailed to email@example.com. Two hard copies of all application forms, plans and supporting documentation should be submitted.
The Development - Pre-lodgement meeting request form APP 001 (for print) can be submitted in person to your local customer service centre. Two hard copies of all application forms, plans and supporting documentation should be submitted OR a CD or thumb drive with documents saved as separate PDF files, not more than 2MB each in size.
When and where pre-lodgement meetings will be held
On receipt of a properly completed request for a pre-lodgement meeting, including required information and plans, Council will determine if a meeting is to be held. Where relevant, Council will issue an acknowledgement letter confirming meeting arrangements i.e. time, date and location.
The applicants may also be called or sent an email to confirm the proposed meeting arrangements. Meetings will be limited to designated days, typically Tuesday and/or Thursday afternoons.
Pre-lodgement meetings are typically held between 7 to 10 business days from the request being received by Council. If the applicant is unable to meet within this timeframe, the meeting request will be cancelled. The pre-lodgement meeting request form will be required to be re-submitted.
Pre-lodgement meetings will be held at 543 Ruthven Street, Toowoomba unless otherwise arranged with Council. Meetings will be allocated a maximum of one hour unless alternative arrangements are made in advance of the meeting. Applicants are encouraged to focus on the core matters for which Council comment or direction is sought.
Next steps after the pre-lodgement meeting
A written record of the meeting will be prepared to outline technical advice provided by Council and the key outcomes of the meeting. At the conclusion of the meeting, the applicant will be provided with a copy of the written record to sign in recognition of what was discussed at the meeting. This is to acknowledge the advice that was provided and does not represent agreement or disagreement with that advice. An electronic copy of the advice will also be forwarded to the applicant generally within five business days of the meeting.
For further specific information on pre-lodgement meetings contact Council’s technical advice officers on 131 872 or visit your nearest Customer Service Centre.
The information contained on this page is a guide only.
This information has been prepared by Toowoomba Regional Council to help people gain an understanding of the Toowoomba Regional Planning Scheme. Please consult the Toowoomba Regional Planning Scheme for detailed information including maps (zones, local plans, overlays and priority infrastructure plan), provisions and policies. The content of this information sheet is not intended to replace the provisions of the Toowoomba Regional Planning Scheme.