Fences & retaining walls

Depending on the proposed development, a fence and/or retaining wall can be sited:

A site survey of the property by a professional land surveyor may be required for erecting fences on the boundary if no current survey pegs are evident.

Who pays for a retaining wall and/or fence on a boundary

It is not Council’s role to provide advice on this matter.  Any disputes in relation to dividing fences should be dealt with between the respective parties.  Advice, information and a mediation service is available through the Department of Justice and Attorney General website www.justice.qld.gov.au or via phone on 1300 651 188.



Fences that need building approval

A permit for building works is required for fences where;

Fence heights on corner allotments

Additional height restrictions apply in relation to the fencing of a corner allotment, and it is suggested further advice is sought before the commencement of works. Fence height may be specified by Council when it is a condition of a development approval i.e. Material Change of Use for units or commercial development and in some cases a subdivision.

info050 retainingwall3

Fencing styles

Council does not regulate the style of fencing on residential properties. However, it is recommended that fencing styles should be designed and constructed to support the character of the area in which they are located.  Where possible fences should blend with the overall appearance of the streetscape.

Dividing fences

Dividing fence disputes are outside the jurisdiction of Council. More information on this topic is available in our dividing fences article.


Retaining walls

Retaining walls may require council approval. Guidelines and processes are dependent on individual circumstances.

A development approval for building works is required for retaining walls where:

This can be processed through a building certifier.

Some retaining walls may also require a Development Application for Operational Works, this is often required as a condition of a related approval e.g. Material Change of Use or Reconfiguration of a Lot. For more information contact Council and request to speak with the Duty Development Engineer.

If retaining walls are proposed to be built over or near Council's Infrastructure (contact Water and Waste Infrastructure Services for confirmation on approval requirements).

If a fence is proposed to be built atop the retaining wall and the combined height of the structure exceeds 2 metres above natural ground level a siting discretion approval may be required, so please contact Council's Building Compliance section for further information.

info050 retainingwall2

Related information

How to lodge an application

Heritage fence advice

INFO 050 Building Work - Frequently Asked Questions Information Sheet

CL 013 Retaining Wall Class 10b Checklist

Last Updated: Thursday, 22 August 2019 16:03