Council has established a CBD heritage incentives scheme to provide grants for external works on heritage places that visually improve the appearance of buildings and their contribution to commercial centres. The scheme is open to local and state listed heritage properties located within the areas identified in the Toowoomba city centre and town centre of Clifton, Crows Nest, Goombungee, Millmerran, Oakey, Pittsworth and Yarraman. For successful applications, Council will contribute $1 for every $2 spent by applicants up to a maximum of $10,000 per project. All projects must be substantially completed within 12 months of funding approval. The grants are payable on the completion of works.
Works that will be eligible for funding include:
- repainting the place in its original colour scheme or an appropriate equivalent.
- reinstatement of lost features important to the character of the place (i.e. verandahs, window treatments, etc).
- urgent remedial works or stabilisation of endangered fabric where it can be demonstrated that the work is part of a longer term conservation project.
- removal of unsympathetic additions or features, including advertising signs.
- other works to the exterior of the place that contribute positively to the streetscape or public realm.
To see whether your property is eligible for funding, please refer to the CBD heritage incentives scheme guidelines for further information.