A water meter is a device that records the amount of water being used on your property. The meter known as the "primary" meter is situated at the property boundary.

To allow for metered charging of water supplied to individual units, State Legislation and Toowoomba Regional Council requires that secondary water meters be installed to measure the quantity of water supplied to each unit. This is in addition to the primary meter that currently exists at the property boundary.

Note: all residential, commercial and industrial complexes are supplied with individual water meters for each unit.

Individual water metering conditions

  1. All associated costs are the responsibility of the owner/s
  2. Each owner is to ensure that secondary meters are located within the property boundary (as per h. below) and that the meters service only the units on which they are installed
  3. Toowoomba Regional Council is to supply and maintain secondary water meters to individual units, however the cost for the secondary water meters is to be borne by the owners of the individual units
  4. Individual meters are to be read by TRC and accounts for water usage sent to the owners
  5. Water consumed in the common area is to be calculated by subtracting the total reading of the secondary meters from the primary meter or a dedicated water meter may be installed for pools, wash areas and common areas with high water usage. Based on lot apportionment, water consumed in the common area is to be charged to individual property owners
  6. Property owners and the body corporate are to authorise Council, its officers and authorised agents to have access to the property at all times to carry out meter reading maintenance and replacement where necessary. Where properties are secured, special access arrangements will be required
  7. All associated plumbing valves and pipes within the property is the responsibility of the owners and the body corporate to maintain
  8. A licensed plumber shall install a water meter in a plastic meter box of approved design in a hard paved area adjacent to the front of each unit or in a location approved by TRC Plumbing and Drainage Services. Garden beds are not suitable due to access issues from plant growth.

Prior to the commencement of work, it is necessary for the licensed plumber to obtain a permit from Council's Plumbing & Drainage section. There will be a fee for the issue of this permit.
Applicable Codes:

  • Toowoomba Regional Council Sub Metering Guidelines and Specifications
  • Queensland Plumbing and Wastewater Code (Part 4) as part of the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002.

Further information

For further information please contact the Building & Compliance – Plumbing Section on 131 872 or visit your nearest Customer Service Centre.


The information contained in this article is a guide only. This information has been prepared by Toowoomba Regional Council to help people gain an understanding of the Toowoomba Regional Planning Scheme. Please consult the Toowoomba Regional Planning Scheme for detailed information including maps (zones, local plans, overlays and priority infrastructure plan), provisions and policies. The content of this information sheet is not intended to replace the provisions of the Toowoomba Regional Planning Scheme.

Related document

INFO 046 Individual Water Metering of Units Information Sheet


When to apply for a water service

You should apply for a water service prior to any construction works commencing on the site.

Prior to the commencement of work, it is necessary for the licensed plumber to obtain a permit from our Building & Compliance - Plumbing Section. There will be a fee for the issue of this permit.


How to apply for a water service and meter

You will need to know what size connection you need for your property. Consultation with your licensed plumber or hydraulic consultant is recommended.

It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the service is required before making an application and payment.

If the application is for a fire service, an additional water service and meter may be required.

Council will supply, on application, the following sizes:

  • 20mm water meter connection
  • 25mm water meter connection.

Each of these size connections has an individual application fee (refer to our fees and charges).

For connections larger than a 25mm it is requested that you obtain a quotation from the Water & Sewer Maintenance Branch on 131 872.

Application process

Fill in and submit the Water service application form (online).


In person

The Water service application form (for print) can be submitted in person to your local customer service centre

Connection timeframe

It is requested that you allow as a minimum of ten working days for the installation to be completed by us following the lodgement and payment of the application.

More information

For further specific information about water meter connection requirements and the process, contact the Water & Sewer Maintenance Branch on 131 872.


Related document

INFO 040 Water Meter Connections Information Sheet