Lady serving food to a customer from a food truck. The lady has a big smile on her face.

Food trucks are businesses that operate out of self-contained mobile food vehicles in either private or public areas. Areas that are considered public and require Council approval, include parks and roadside vending.

To operate a mobile food vehicle in the Toowoomba Region you are required to have the correct licencing for a mobile food business. This licencing is accepted throughout Queensland for the operation of mobile food vehicles.

Depending on the location site of the operation of your mobile food vehicle, we have two different application processes:

  1. operating on Council controlled area - roadside or carpark
  2. operating from a pre-approved location in a Council park.

For information about obtaining a mobile food business license, visit our Food business licence page and refer to the Food business - licence application guide.

The Food Act 2006 permits licenced operators to operate their food truck in any local government area in Queensland with a single licence.

Food trucks can apply to operate on Council roadsides and carparks under the mobile roadside vending clause in Subordinate Local Law No. 1.2 (Commercial Use of Local Government Controlled Areas and Roads) 2020, subject to some restrictions.

These restrictions include:

  • ensuring that operations are handled in a safe manner
  • food trucks are not going to impede foot and/or vehicle traffic
  • there is no introduction of unfair competition with existing fixed premises.

For information about applying for and completing an application for a Local Law permit, please refer to Undertaking commercial and/or community activities.

Local law approval information guide

The Local law approval information guide provides an overview of what approvals or bookings an activity may require.

The information provided in this guide has been compiled for your convenience. We make no warranties about the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in the guide. The guide is not a substitute for independent professional advice and we strongly recommend that event organisers obtain any appropriate professional advice relevant to their particular circumstances. We will not accept any liability for any loss, damage or other injury resulting from its use and reserve the right to make changes, modifications, additions, deletions and corrections to the guide at any time and without notice.

Fees and charges

For information on fees and charges, please contact us on 131 872 or visit your nearest Customer Service Centre.

We may consider an application to operate a food truck in selected parks in the Toowoomba Region. Food truck vendors must complete a Vendor Operation in a Council Park Permit Application (conditions will apply).

We may consider a food truck to operate in the following parks:

  • Queens Park (looped car park area), Toowoomba
  • Kearneys Springs Recreation Reserve, Toowoomba
  • Nell E Robinson Park, Toowoomba
  • Middle Ridge Park, Toowoomba
  • Lions Park, Hodgson Vale
  • Clewley Park, Toowoomba
  • Captain Cook Sporting Reserve, Toowoomba
  • Peacehaven Park, Highfields
  • Bridgman Oval, Pittsworth
  • Federation Park, Vale View
  • Cooby Dam, Loveday Cove
  • Errol Munt Sporting Reserve, Yarraman
  • Bullocky’s Rest, Crows Nest

For more information about food trucks operating in our Toowoomba Region parks, please contact the Parks Booking Officer, Parks and Recreation Branch on 131 872 or email

Fees and charges

For information on fees and charges, please contact us on 131 872 or visit your nearest Customer Service Centre.